Thursday, June 14, 2018

Unity Matters

I am back in the Peach State after being away for a few days in the Lone Star State for the Southern Baptist Convention. I must say that I thoroughly enjoy fellowshipping with the believers for these unforgettable events every year. Each time I go, my batteries are recharged and I return home with a fresh zeal for ministry. This year is no different in spite of many events and challenges that were presented to our beloved convention.

When I arrived in Dallas, I was nervous for what was going to be in store for the two-day convention and for our denomination in the days to come. Scandals and bad press unfortunately ran rampant in the days, weeks, and months leading up to our meeting. In the midst of our meetings, the Vice-President of the United States of America, Mike Pence, asked if he could address us. While this may seem to most like a good thing, it was not without controversy. Many people questioned whether politics should be allowed in the pulpit. Others believed that embracing Pence would be tone-deaf and would isolate ourselves from other faithful believers who either hold differing political views or who harbor distrust in the current White House Administration. In reality this convention was a watershed moment for our denomination. We had so many things on the table that would shape who we are as Southern Baptists that I am not going to mention them in detail here. Suffice it to say that we had major decisions to make and the world was watching.

There were several things that took place that I did not whole-heartedly agree with. That will always be the case when sinful people like myself are involved. One moment that was particularly sobering to me personally was when Ravi Zacharias stood before us and reminded us that opinions are things that we have but convictions are things that have us. In other words, we must humbly remember that we will not always agree on secondary and tertiary issues but that we must completely agree on the primary issues. If we can agree that Jesus is primary, we still have a basis for unity. Our convictions about the Gospel and the exclusive path to salvation in Jesus must align!

I have written before that infighting weakens any group. We can say terrible things about each other and believe that no one outside of our circles of influence will ever hear our voices but we would be terribly wrong. I believe with all my heart that we must stand boldly for our beliefs and convictions and that we must hold high the doctrines that our faith and denomination were built upon. We must not, however, tear down our brothers and sisters just because they have differing mindsets on secondary or tertiary issues.

When we attack each other it hurts. It hurts individuals. It hurts churches, it hurts the heart of God. When the world looks at us (be assured that the world most definitely looks at us) and sees us biting each other, they are understandably turned off. Why preach grace, mercy, and forgiveness if we go out of our way to defame and slander Godly people with whom we might disagree with on issues that are probably not as important as we think they are. My advice, for what it is worth, is that we all have a slice of humble pie. I am not saying that we shouldn't disagree. I am saying that we should be soaked in the humility of Christ and that when we come to the table with our ideas, we do so with love for our brothers and sisters. It is okay to disagree. I disagree with my wife on even some seemingly important issues...most of which I realize later that I was wrong about in the first place (except for how to squeeze toothpaste out of the tube). I can disagree with her while still upholding her integrity.

I will be the first to admit that I do not affirm Calvinism. Many of my peers disagree with me on this issue. This is the basis of one of the many disagreements that we have had over the past years as Southern Baptists and it was a major issue in the presidential race of the Southern Baptist Convention this year. So we have a choice. Do we split over this issue, or do we commit to unity in Christ? Make no mistake, if we continue heading down this path, we will have to address this question at some point. In fact, some have already hinted that those who affirm Calvinism should leave the Baptist Church for the Presbyterian Church. When we do reach this moment, my prayer is that we will ask ourselves one question: what will honor King Jesus? So much rides on this one pivotal question. Yes, I isolated the one issue of Calvinism but there are other issues that will beg the same question. The conviction that has me is that we should do everything that we can in the power of the Holy Spirit to look as much like heaven as we can. We do not know much about heaven because it is entirely too glorious for our feeble hearts to imagine but one thing we do know is that every nation, every tribe, every people group, and every language will stand before the Lamb. That includes a vast array of people with as many different perspectives, ideas, and opinions. It might be time for us to start getting used to unifying with people different with us because one day those of us who call Jesus Lord will see fully, we will all agree, and we will all be in unity...because in the Kingdom of God...unity matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Did We Get So Far?

      Does it baffle you the way that it does me that the milieu of our culture is one of seemingly endless insanity? The zeitgeist of today...